Service, Technology and Culture: Preparing Our Future Students
APIASF Higher Education Summit Series
Ronald Reagan Building | Washington, D.C.
June 16, 2016
Secretary John B. King, Jr.
U.S. Department of Education
On June 16, 2016, the Asian & Pacific Islander American Scholarship Fund (APIASF) will host its seventh annual Higher Education Summit around the theme, Service, Technology and Culture: Preparing Our Future Students, at the Ronald Reagan Building and International Trade Center in Washington, D.C.
Organized into a series of presentations, panels, and breakout sessions, the 2016 APIASF Higher Education Summit will highlight the important role that institutions play in developing AAPI students into graduates who are poised to prosper in today’s economy. These students are a part of the fastest growing racial groups in the country and will become critical contributors to the nation’s workforce and will be central to America’s economic development.
Since 2010, APIASF has leveraged the insights achieved from the Higher Education Summit Series to mobilize communities and resources to address the academic, leadership, and professional development needs of AAPI students. In preparing AAPI college students for the future, collaborations and partnerships to accelerate student access and success in higher education must consider how leadership training on campus translates into leadership skills and roles in AAPI college students’ careers.
The objectives of the 2016 APIASF Higher Education Summit include:
- Strengthening existing collaborations and developing partnerships to accelerate student access and success in higher education
- Sharing scalable best practices and successful initiatives to advance institutional capacity
- Highlighting new research and data to mobilize resources
- Creating evidence-based recommendations to strengthen students, families and communities
Sessions will focus on the following topics:
- Service: Experiential education through meaningful service to support and enhance student learning and engagement. How does service learning help develop future leaders and strengthen communities?
- Technology: Platforms to increase student access to resources with best practices from institutional collaborations.
- Culture: Creating culturally relevant spaces in higher education to foster leadership competencies and increase resources for telling the AAPI story across diverse platforms.
For questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.